Early contributions holidays may apply to people affected by financial hardship.
You may be eligible to apply for an early contributions holiday if for reasons outside your control:
- you're experiencing financial trouble, and
- this is affecting your ability to pay your KiwiSaver contributions.
Financial hardship is when:
- you've underestimated the impact of being a KiwiSaver member on your financial circumstances, and cannot afford to pay your day-to-day living expenses, or
- your financial circumstances have changed due to:
- events beyond your control related to the repair or replacement of essential items such as your car or washing machine, where there are no reasonable alternatives
- the cost associated with an illness, injury or condition suffered by you or a dependant
- the cost of medical treatment or rehabilitation for you or a dependant, including costs related to pregnancy or modification of your home to meet special needs or palliative care
- inflationary factors such as price increases, rent increases or interest rate rises
- changes in your living arrangements that result in an increase in rent or a reduction in board payments received
- involuntary changes to your or your partner's employment circumstances, for example:
- a reduction in overtime
- an investment that causes a reduction in your household income (such as a vacant investment property)
- education costs for yourself or your dependants (excluding private school fees).